Monday, March 10, 2008

Thing 2: Getting 2 Know L2

This "23 Things" challenge is really amazing. I only wish I had more time to devote to it. I plan on completeing all 23 Things within the alloted time but not necessarily at me leisure; more like when I can. (I know that is an improper use of a semicolon. I was once told by a freshman English teacher that you can only use a semicolon twice a year, so make sure you really want to use one before you stick one in there. Working in the "for-profit" sector, I'm on a July to June fiscal year and have yet to use even one semicolon. Fearing the ever-present spectre of "use it or lose it" I thought I'd take this opportunity to use one. Besides, it's a blog right? How important IS punctuation? Or spelling for that matter. Seriously.)

Making time to work through these "things" could be tricky. I'll probably do many of these between bites during my lunch break or during conference calls.

I think the big draw for me in completeing this is to find out how to actually do these things. I know what an RSS feed is and I know what flickr offers but I've never really done anything with them. I hope by getting introduced to these types of resources I'll get a better understanding of their functions and be able to incorporate them into the services my Library provides our students and faculty.

Prior to staring this projest I knew what Web 2.0 was, but only in the most general terms. Since beginning "23-ToaSt" (I totally just made that acronym up), I've started reading up on it and Library 2.0.

As I work through these "Things" I'm looking forward to reading the other folks blogs and seeing what issues they ran into, how they handled problems, how they will apply these resources to their libraries, etc. In the past week I've just kinda been poking around the blogs seeing who is out there. I always amazed at the range of personalities, philosophies, and ideas I come across.

Good luck to all my fellow "ToaSt-ers" (made that one up too) on completeing this and I look forward to following your progress.

Ad astra per aspera!!!

No comments: